Monday, February 7, 2011

A Sleep-Over Visit

Eli has this super cheesy book called A Sleep-Over Visit  which is a Little Golden Book that was actually John's from his childhood. It is the story of a little boy named Michael who spends his first night away from home at his friend's house down the street. It is the kind of book that feminists would want to burn with its outdated concepts of high-heeled, hoop-skirt, button down blouse wearing, bacon frying housewives; however, Eli loves it and we read it often. The book was purchased for a whopping 89 cents back in 1986 and it is selling today on Amazon for $25. Hmm, looks like we'd better hold onto it for another 20 years.

All of that information really doesn't have anything to do with this post. But if you were in any way curious as to the current value of a vintage Little Golden Book, then there you have it . 2700% value increase.

Anyhoo, last weekend we had our own sleep-over visit with my nieces Lily and Callie. I was so looking forward to having the girls here and getting some one-on-one time with them. Eli was also pumped and very easily slipped into the role of being "just one of the gals." We played with babies, baked and decorated a giant cookie, took a jacuzzi bubble bath (them, not me), made popcorn, and snuggled in for a fun movie which we started way after their bedtime. It was such a special time to spend with these adorable, giggling girls and I cherished it. Watching the three of them together with their tender hearts and unblemished innocence is such a reminder of God's abundant delight in His children. Thanks Kim and Sarah for letting us steal the girls away for a night. We hope its a tradition we can continue in the future.







3 comments:

  1. Eli is such a ham in pic #3.

    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might just be the coolest Aunt/Mom in the world. I only wish I had been invited...minus 20 some years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ! (: I arrived here because I googled the "super cheesy" book you mentioned! Lol. Whenever I would spend the night at my Granny's house as a young child she would read it to me before bed. It was my favorite. (: This was in the mid to late 80's. Sadly she passed away a few years ago, and I have no idea what became of the book. But I'm happy to hear other children are still enjoying it! (:

    ReplyDelete

Comment