Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A few thoughts on Lent

Today is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, which is the 40 day period leading up until the celebration of Easter. I love the rich, Biblical tradition of Lent. Jesus was in the wilderness for 40 days alone and overcame the temptations of Satan. He was busy preparing his disciples and followers (though they couldn't wrap their minds around it) for what was to come. And how could they understand it? All while He was wrestling in His own heart to accept what He knew was only days away-- the shame of being mocked, the feelings of being completely abandoned, the brutality of dying on a cross, the glory of being resurrected. Its all so overwhelming to me and reminds me how very small my life is.

I'm giving up television and sweets for the next 40 days. I don't write this with hopes of impressing you, but rather as a way to give myself some accountability. The truth is, I love watching TV, but it is so very distracting from the things that I should be doing with my time. I want more of Jesus. I want to walk in the figurative desert with Him for 40 days. While I'm fasting from being mindlessly entertained and indulging my sugar-addiction, I want to feast on the Holy Spirit and climb up in the lap of my Jesus and rest for a while. I need this, I have become so thirsty.

I would love for you to join me in really searching out more of God over these next 40 days, whether you choose to fast from something or not. I am so very thankful that I already know how this story ends, that JESUS IS RISEN! He has already overcome death. What else could we hope for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment